View Single Post
Old November 16 2013, 09:25 PM   #124
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

I was disappointed. Not hugely - I certainly enjoyed it, but I was hoping for more - I'd give it a solid 6 or 7 out of 10, and gave it a B here.

I was hoping for Apollo 13 with more spectacle but got an upscaled Space Cowboys. Even leaving aside the orbital mechanics, much of it was just way too stupid (mind you, that's stupid in lower case as opposed to STUPID in large capital letters such as Armageddon). Also the performances, whilst somewhere between good and very good wetre not Oscar nomination class.

Spectacular it certainly was, but, heeding arch critic of 3D Mark Kermode's grudging 'if you are ever going to see a 3D movie, it should be this one, on the biggest IMax screen you can', I went Imax. The 3D demo reel before the movie was stunning, but as for the movie itself, I can't see that it would have suffered any in comparison had I seen it in another 3D format. As for Imax, what is the point ? The allegedly 'pinpoint sharp' images are projected onto a screen that seemed to be covered in tiny dots. It turns out that they are small holes in the screen to let the sound through. I could see them before the film started and I could see them while the film was playing. How is a grainy (dotty ?) picture crystal clear ? I won't bother again.

Don't let me dissuade you from going if you haven't seen it yet - it's a real rollercoaster ride, but don't go expecting some hard sci-fi masterpiece...