View Single Post
Old November 15 2013, 10:54 PM   #56
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Can we make fan-films in the JJ universe? I don't know. But I do know that a BBS member was planning an animated fan-series set in the JJ universe, and he posted artwork of the characters and ship designs. He was contacted by someone at the studio and asked to set his fan-cartoon in the prime universe, so as not to ruffle any feathers with the movie guys. Now it is going to be set in the TNG time period.
Too, and a point which I think is very much worth remembering in this precise context, is that no stipulation from CBS/Paramount has ever been simultaneously or equally applicable from one fan film to another. New Voyages/Phase II may have their marching orders, but that doesn't necessarily mean that CBS/Paramount would issue the same directives for, say Starship Exeter, Project: Potemkin, or Yorktown.

Historically, it seems (to the best of my recollection anyway) that any contact with the studio has come with varied instructions and guidelines. Phase II (andriech, really) was just the only one I remember going in to any explicit detail about.

Now, the majority understanding that I had been aware of until just recently was that CBS/Paramount had vetoed any fan films set in the JJ Abrams' film continuity. That information came to me from andriech's post a while ago where she spelled out all theg guidelines New Voyages/Phase II was (allegedly) given from Mallory at the studio. James Cawley has since debunked this particular point bringing us to where we are now.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote