View Single Post
Old November 14 2013, 10:15 AM   #20
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Did the Tribbles actually die out by the 24th Century?

Lance wrote: View Post
We know the replicators have restrictions on what they can and can't actually produce, but perhaps sterile replicated Tribbles are considered safe.
So replicators can replicate living creatures? That should make every parent think twice about letting a kid use the replicator, especially if they've expressed a wish to get a puppy or a pony...

teacake wrote: View Post
But there must be some means of population control, especially as humans won't want to be killing excess tribbles every single day as a drudgery of pet care.
It's called spay/neuter. But you have to be very fast about it, since according to McCoy, they're born pregnant.

MikeS wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Cyrano Jones was selling them across the galaxy...
Which is odd, because you'd assume that something that was so easily reproduced would hold little or no value.
I saw a news story yesterday about a dog that had 19 puppies. Three puppies died soon after birth, 5 were stillborn, and 11 survived. The owners plan to sell the puppies for $1700 apiece.

Kirby wrote: View Post
Was anyone else disturbed by Scotty's final solution in Trouble With Tribbles? Yes, the were a danger to the Enterprise, but to just beam them to the Klingon ship where they probably would be killed in a violent manner as opposed to something which could be done more 'humanely' on the Enterprise. And then they all got a good laugh out of it...
If Uhura could laugh at the loss of her pet, I wouldn't be trusting her with any other kind of pet...

(Actually, I'm a bit surprised that pets would have been allowed on the ship in the first place; I wonder if tribbles shed?)

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Would you have had an issue if tribbles looked more like the rats they are? Tribbles are vermin.
Rats are vermin. I shudder every time I hear of anyone keeping one of those revolting things as a pet.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Come to think of it: Would there not have been some kind of indigenous predator on the Tribbles' homeworld?
Of course there would have been. Unless a wild animal would be affected by the tribbles' trilling sounds, the tribble wouldn't stand a chance against becoming lunch. That's why they bred so prolifically - evolution at work.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote