Old November 14 2013, 01:08 AM   #32
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: UT-TFV: "No Win Scenario"

Gibraltar,

Not everyone likes being spectators.

Battle Lattice
Chakuun ghost ship Deathstroke

The Cohort General’s mind stretched along the psionic network, linking with the rest of the minds and eyes of her immediate subordinates. It was a facsimile of natural Tholian telepathy and took years to master. Only the best among the Chakuun warrior-elite mastered the ability to process and transmit such astronomical levels of information.

With hundreds of eyes she saw both enemy fleets. The minor Starfleet contingent stood idly by, as was their wont, waiting for someone else to finish their battles for them.

If not for the threat posed by the Kothlis’Ka to Tholian borders, the Assembly would have been content to allow the aliens to continue their rampage on to Romulus and probably Earth.

The cohort general could only imagine that the discussion among the Ruling Conclave on Tholia gleeful at the prospect of an alien armada dispatching two nuisances at once. Such thoughts were distaste to a warrior of her ilk. The cohort general preferred to fire and sword to inaction and delegation.

The Chakuun was pleased that the news the Ruling Conclave had learned about the encroaching fleet had rattled them enough to send her out to meet them. The warriors hadn’t unsheathed their blades in many cycles, the last Seltorian revolt being too long for the general’s liking.

The arrival of the Kothlis’Ka were like a gift from on high, and the cohort general intended to honor the war goddess the only way she knew how.

“Attack,” she said and projected mentally, trembling slightly as she watched the thought ripple in a hundred directions.

As one the Chakuun bore down on the Kothlis’Ka.

Main Bridge
USS Empress

“I played with one of those models when I was a kid,” Commander Sheppard said in amazement, as he watched waves of Chakuun starships dive toward the heart of the Kothlis’Ka armada. Trailing them were several waves of Chakuun fighters, which had been belted out of the ghost ship holds.

Captain Erasia watched the green, silver-winged ghost ships in stunned silence. The gods had seemingly answered her prayers. The battle might not be hopeless after all; in fact the intercept group might not have to engage the Kothlis’Ka at all.

“Captain,” Aarti pulled Tan out of her reverie, “Commander Rhizzo is hailing.”

“Audio,” Erasia ordered, not wanting to miss the battle about to begin.

“Captain Erasia,” Rhizzo’s voice was unusually chipper. “I guess the cavalry has arrived.” At that moment the starless void erupted in violent showers of light as the two navies engaged.

“You could say that Commander,” Erasia nodded.

“What are your orders?” The Zakdorn asked.

“We are going to hold position,” Tan said.

“You’re making a joke right?” Rhizzo asked, her voice full of incredulity.

“No, jokes are not in my skill set,” Tan shot back.

“Our odds of success have just multiplied exponentially,” Rhizzo replied. “We have a real chance against the Kothlis’Ka now, thanks to the Chakuun.”

“We don’t know how well the Chakuun will fare against them,” Erasia said.

“Well certainly with our help it will increase their chances,” Rhizzo rejoined.

“And it is possible that the Chakuun can handle the Kothlis’Ka without our assistance,” Tan said cold-bloodedly, “which will leave this taskforce intact and able to complete our mission of exploration and contact.”

“I can’t believe that you would rather have us sit on the sidelines and let the Chakuun fight our battle.” Now derision peppered the disbelief.

“As mission commander my job is to safeguard this group to the best of my abilities,” Erasia answered, “and sending us against the Kothlis’Ka needlessly is not the optimal way to do that.”

“Even to secure justice for the Narcissus?” Rhizzo was now aghast, “What about that?”

“I don’t think adding more casualties to the list is a preferable option,” Erasia replied, “I will not throw away our lives.”

“Perhaps being in Tango Fleet made you gun shy,” the Zakdorn charged, and the accusation stung. Tan’s eyes narrowed and her mouth turned into a slash and a scalding reply boiled on her tongue. But she held it in and pushed back the bile rising in her throat.

“This is our one chance to stop the Kothlis’Ka and I’m not wasting that!” Rhizzo declared.

“Commander!” Erasia snapped.

“Ariane has cut communications,” Aarti said, looking at the captain with an alarmed expression.

“And she has broken formation,” Lt. Quim added.

“On screen,” the captain barked. The view quickly shifted to Ariane angling away from the diamond slot formation. The screen flickered and the lighting brightened minutely.

“Thoron shielding is down %20 percent,” Aarti said next.

“Hail them Aarti,” the captain ordered.

“Ariane is not answering our summons,” the Andorian ops officer said.

Erasia pounded her armrests. “All right then, if she wants to play it rough,” she muttered to herself. More loudly, the captain ordered, “Commander Sheppard, bring up the Ariane’s prefix code.” She would shut the ship down again until the obstreperous Zakdorn saw reason.

Sheppard tapped furiously at his console for several seconds. Eventually he conceded defeat. Looking up at the captain, his features stormy, Sheppard said, “Captain, it appears that Ariane has changed their prefix code.”

“Damn you Rhizzo,” Erasia softly cursed.

“Captain, Ariane has gone to warp!” Aarti announced. “And she’s taking the warp vehicles with her!” The compact Saber-class light cruiser shot past Empress, surrounded by streaking unmanned warp vehicles. They headed toward the battle.

“After the Ariane!” Erasia bellowed. The captain hoped she could catch and disable the quick little cruiser before they got close enough to draw the attention of either the Kothlis’Ka or the Chakuun.

Last edited by DarKush; November 14 2013 at 01:19 AM.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote