View Single Post
Old November 13 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Re: Happy Veterans Day!

Sigokat wrote: View Post
I'm a U.S. Army vet, but I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and therefore don't get on the site all the time.
The best of luck to you! Keep your head down.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Or maybe they were put off by the more naive, jingoistic, and whitewashing elements of his little speech but at the same time didn't want to say anything that could be wrongly construed as being critical of veterans --rather than the policies they are often asked to enforce, which aren't always about handing out puppies and rainbows like the OP suggests-- on a day of remembrance.

There's thanking military vets for their service and remembering those who have died and then there's idolizing them. There's thinking the military is a necessary function that often does some good and then there's naively imagining that everything they do is about spreading freedom and protecting the American people from imminent threats. The OP came off a shade too far to the latter side of both for my tastes, and I imagine it did for some others too.
The OP suggests no such thing. You seem to misconstrew the policy makers with Veterans. (as most naive people do)

And why should that keep someone from posting?

WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietman
Gulf War I
Iraq
Afghanistan

All liberating folks from tryanny.

...and then the countless times the US Military has been called on to provide aid to countries and people in need. Currently the Phillipines.

I don't see what's wrong with recognizing that.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Is "Happy Veterans Day" actually appropriate? War veterans have seen some serious shit, I don't think those are very fond memories.
You are correct, many of these folks have been put in situations the average citizen can't even imagine. But they did what they were ordered to do and it's most apropriate to thank them.