View Single Post
Old November 13 2013, 12:30 AM   #284
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

BigJake wrote: View Post
Why not have him be a different remnant of the Eugenics Wars, or something else entirely?
I don't disagree. Personally, that's the way I would have done it (assuming this was the story they wanted to tell). Make him Joachim, or another lieutenant of Khan. But I'm not the target of Trek marketing decisions. I'm a hardcore Trekkie, I was going to see the movie in any case. I'm just glad I had a movie that I love (while acknowledging their faults) who managed the not-easy task of pleasing a large section of Trekkies, and the general movie-goer population. I understand why people dislike it, but if the choice is between a movie targeted only to Trekkies that will bomb at the box-office and nearly kill the franchise (cue Nemesis) and a movie targeted to everybody (including a majority of Trekkies) that is a success and ensures the continuation of the legacy at the expenses of a few purists... well, I'm sorry. The need of the many and all that jazz.

Story-wise, there was no need for John Harrison to be Khan. Marketing-wise, there was no way they were going to do a "revenge of the augment" plot and not have John Harrison be Khan. I have no troubles accounting for real-life reasons in this.

BigJake wrote: View Post
Did the movie or the reboot franchise as a whole really gain that much from putting itself in the same frame as TWOK?
Numbers. And in the end, that's the bottom line. It was the bottom line in TOS, the bottom line in TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT, and it is the bottom line for Abram's Trek. Khan was too much of a crowd teaser to avoid him.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; November 13 2013 at 01:06 AM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote