View Single Post
Old November 12 2013, 08:05 PM   #273
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Even before STID, Berman Era Trek had turned Khan into a Dictator on par with Hitler, a man so feared that Earth and Starfleet was terrified of there ever being another one like him. That's not the work of a skilled diplomat, that's someone that was racking and stacking bodies.
Sounds like a retcon if I ever heard one. If Starfleet was so terrified of him and any of his kind coming back, why doesn't Kirk seem any at all worried about it? Why leave someone on a planet where they could potentially rise and conquer the galaxy? Because that wasn't the intent of his character, nor the story. You think the writers of Space Seed thought that this exchange in the end was just there as a joke?
Spock: It would be interesting, Captain, to return to that world in a hundred years and to learn what crop has sprung from the seed you planted today.
Kirk: Yes, Mister Spock, it would indeed.
I mean, why would a group of enlightened humans say this about a man who was so merciless that he was, as you say, racking and stacking bodies? NO ONE SAYS THIS!
McCoy: The last of the tyrants to be overthrown.
Scotty: I must confess, gentlemen. I've always held a sneaking admiration for this one.
Kirk: He was the best of the tyrants and the most dangerous. They were supermen, in a sense. Stronger, braver, certainly more ambitious, more daring.
Spock: Gentlemen, this romanticism about a ruthless dictator is-
Kirk: Mister Spock, we humans have a streak of barbarism in us. Appalling, but there, nevertheless.
Scotty: There were no massacres under his rule.
Spock: As very little freedom.
McCoy: No wars until he was attacked.
Spock: Gentlemen...
*Everyone laughs*
Kirk: Mr. Spock, you misunderstand us. We can be against him and admire him all at the same time.
Spock: Illogical.
Kirk: Totally.
Yeah, I'm sure someone who massacred whole groups of people just because he wanted to would totally draw admiration from our enlightened heroes like Kirk, Scotty and McCoy. After all, the only thing Spock has against Khan is that his rule allowed for very little freedom. If the stuff involving massacres and genocide was a legitimate part of his history, why doesn't anyone bring any of this up?
Scotty: There were no massacres under his rule.
Spock: There were. He killed so many people that he's been compared to Hitler.
Scotty: Oh....
McCoy: No wars until he was attacked.
Spock: He wanted to wage a bloody genocidal war against anyone he deemed inferior.
McCoy: Oh....
Kirk: We can be against him and admire him all at the same time.
Spock: What is there to admire in genocide, Captain?
Kirk: Oh....
Khan: On Earth, 200 years ago, I was a prince with power over millions!
Chekov: Not true! You wanted to kill anyone you deemed less than superior!
Khan: Oh....
Oh, sure. Let's not take the writers or creators of Khan at their word that Khan isn't a psychopath. Let's take it from Rick Berman and Brannon Bragga, the two individuals who not only helped solidify everything that most people hate about Star Trek, but also took part in killing both the TV and film franchises before JJ took over.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote