Thread: DS9 in HD
View Single Post
Old November 12 2013, 01:16 PM   #39
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: DS9 in HD

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
While Tobias Richter undoubtedly is a fan of Star Trek, it seems there's more to it because his company The Light Works is the one that provided the CGI footage of the big E-D for the TNG remastering!
That's not quite true. While Tobias did create the original model, the actual CG rendering is done by the team at CBS-D.
Tobias has been using the finished CG renderings of the big E-D for the portfolio of his company and I'm confident he'd be giving credit where credit is due. I also do not recall any CBS-D statements from the early season(s) that his model required additional fine tuning. IIRC the (partially CGI) saucer separation from BoBW is the still the same as the one from the pilot episode.

(TrekCore made this pretty clear in their review of S5), and CBS-D ended up overhauling his model as well.
That's a different story (and a different - - model?).

Tobias has been doing these outstanding CG models for years and while they're very well done, I don't this we can assume or extrapolate anything about future CBS-D projects. I may be wrong, but my impression is he was more of a contractor; they bought his original CG model, but he's not really working on the inside.
It seems that CBS-D has not yet chosen a contractor for the DS9 VFX (Tobias would have probably heard). I believe that's the reason why Tobias has showcased what could be done (if The Light Works were hired again).

I don't know at what point in time such a decision would have to be made, but apparently it hasn't been made, yet.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote