View Single Post
Old November 11 2013, 02:08 AM   #68
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Commodores in command of Starships?

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Stocker taking command still irritates me. Despite his rank, he was in no way qualified to command a starship. And when he decided to take a "shortcut" through the Neutral Zone, he should have been certified batshit crazy. There were plenty of officers unaffected by the aging disease -- Sulu, Uhura, hell even Chekov -- who were better suited to take command. If Stocker were not focused on his own selfish needs, he could have recognized that and put one of them in command.
It did stretch credulity that rank alone could give someone command despite having no applicable experience.

Perhaps that usage has changed by the 23rd century, though. After all, in his log at the beginning of TUC as commanding officer of the Excelsior, Sulu refers to himself as "master of this vessel."
Yeah, that was really grating. Maybe he has a more poetic log style? Still, I would avoid it.

But that is, as you say, a "courtesy." If an admiral -- say an obsessed admiral like Kirk at the beginning of TMP, for example -- wanted to throw his weight around, is there any reason he couldn't just stroll onto the bridge and issue orders?
I suppose so but it is almost unimaginable. For one thing, admirals really don't come to you, they summon you to them. Also, the admiral coming to the bridge and giving orders in front of everyone would be such a show of no confidence in the captain that some very serious stuff would probably go down in the aftermath. It would be contrary to all professional norms and the experience and expectations of all involved. There are channels for everything to go through that have worked for many years.

BUT, it is true that admirals can micromanage and meddle in the management of the flagship, because who is going to stop them? Some are worse than others. Ernest King turned down command of Saratoga and waited for Lexington because "Sara" would be the flagship and he didn't want an admiral breathing down his neck. And then he went on to become a fairly meddlesome admiral, himself.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote