Thread: Conlangs
View Single Post
Old November 10 2013, 05:36 PM   #38
DecktheThralls
Rear Admiral

Re: Conlangs

^ Good one! I think I'd use Sevenquad for that one. Sevencube is probably too utilitarian to attempt more literary descriptions.

Betsemes wrote: View Post
Triskelion wrote: View Post

... (which kind of makes me feel that "book" may be more relevant than say, "virgin" - but would not necessarily go in that category, as I don't have to tell you).
How would you say things like "book a flight" or "book a hotel room" or "book a reservation"? You know, this is an entirely different meaning than "book" as a reading thing.
Good example. This is why I added definitions here, to eliminate muliple uses of a word and narrow it down to one clear meaning if possible. Words like "get" have too many jobs to translate easily. You can "get" to get out, to understand, to retrieve, etc. It's kind of hard to think outside your idiom, but that's what's needed to create these lists.

Here's the thing, "booking" something may be more idiomatic and not translate into other languages. For example, "Computer" in English literally translates into Chinese as "Electric Brain." Now, if a Chinese person requested an electric brain in the US, they might get referred to a mental hospital! Another example might be a word like "bounce." If you say you're going to bounce in another language than English, it won't translate.

In these cases, you'd have to go with more basic terms like "make a reservation." You couldn't say an idiom like "Give me your two cents." For international communication, cut idiomatic translations. In principle, however, SevenQuad (or SevenQuin) could assign a code for an idiom to get understood in target languages. "Have you eaten?" in Chinese becomes "How are you?" in English, and "Hello," in Korean ("Annyong haseyo" means hello - there is no equivalent for "how are you" in Korean).

To make a reservation I'd probably go with "Have a hotel room" or "Stay in a hotel room for Month # Day # Year #."

Sevencube is kind of a band aid; I wouldn't rely on it for complex interactions like say, business negotiations or artistic criticism. You could probably come up with 343 words just for hotel stays alone. So the lexicon is a strategic choice - should it be general or specific? I went with general. Was it the right choice? Who knows.

Thanks for asking!
DecktheThralls is online now   Reply With Quote