View Single Post
Old November 10 2013, 10:36 AM   #756
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

^^ Well, they're not trying to fool anyone. It's an homage to the era, like the films of Christopher Mihm.

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Saw a movie today that fits in this thread. The Whisperer in Darkness, made in 2011. That's right, only 2 years ago. But it's a masterful job of recreating the style of science fiction/horror movies of the 30's. Not just the fact that it's filemd in black and white, but the lighting, camera shots and even the actors all look true to the period. Only a couple of video effects towards the end give it away (along with one anachronistic prop)

Based on the H.P. Lovecraft short story of the same name. I came upon the movie about 1/3 of the way through and had to double check the listing a couple times to make sure I was actually watching the right movie. A really excellent job.
If you enjoyed that movie, you should check out "Call of Cthulhu," also based on a H. P. Lovecraft story, that was made by the same group of people -- the HPL Historical Society.

The whole idea of the film was to make a Lovecraft adaptation as if it were being made while Lovecraft was still alive; namely, the early thirties or so and a time when the special effects work in King Kong was cutting edge.

The movie is a silent film that feels very authentic and the somewhat crude effects lend it a very vintage atmosphere. It is, without exception, the finest Lovecraft adaptation I have ever seen. Without prior knowledge of the production, an audience member could easily mistake this film for an actual movie from the silent film era.

Highest recommendation.
I enthusiastically second that. I own both of those movies and love them. The HPLHS also makes "old-time radio" adaptations of Lovecraft's work, which are just as great. Check out their website.

sojourner, I'm psyched that this movie was shown on TV. What channel was it on?