View Single Post
Old November 10 2013, 04:41 AM   #104
Sto-Vo-Kory
Captain

Re: Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Do I understand this right? Netflix just dumps the entire series of new episodes all at once?

If so, I'm really surprised that Netflix does not replicate the broadcast model of one new episode each week. Netflix is a subscription service based on a monthly payment; if they can string you along to stay subscribed to see the entire series, then that would potentially triple their profits on a 13 episode series. That's nothing to sneeze at.
I think that same thought has occurred to Netflix and its shareholders as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Netflix follow the method that Amazon Prime Video is implementing with its new political scripted series, where a few episodes are dumped initially (for people to get a sampling) and then go to weekly episode distribution thereafter.

Ironically, Amazon Prime membership is a yearly fee and a prolonged distribution model for their shows shouldn't increase their profits in a significant way -- whereas the Netflix subscription model would benefit highly from stringing viewers along for several months, as you pointed out.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote