View Single Post
Old November 10 2013, 01:16 AM   #633
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
I don't recall exactly where I read this. It could have been in a magazine article, or maybe Chekov's Enterprise, or some other "making of" book. Once I finish unpacking the rest of my ST books, I can check.

The ideas were to put some kind of Mayan/Incan mystical mumbo-jumbo in the movie, and when told that wasn't a good idea, the person shrugged and said (referring to the intended movie audience), "They'll never know the difference."

I really dislike it when TPTB in charge of making a movie or the authors of a book assume their viewers/readers are stupid.
What you've related here sounds like something where the industry corrected itself, so I don't see how there's any ax to grind in this case, regarding producers who think that the general public is too dumb to care. Not only is whoever it was with an itch to portray the paranormal not named, nothing ever came of his or her recommendation anyway, at least in Star Trek movies.
Would you please take note of my repeated statements that I'm angry that there were producers/studio idiots with some kind of input who thought the viewers were too dumb to KNOW THE DIFFERENCE? I've also said that this isn't the only time I read about this notion of inserting ancient mysticism into the movie script. When/if I find the other text I read, I will reference it here.

"Not caring" is not the same as "not knowing." The first is apathy; the second implies stupidity.

I am angry that whoever wanted this crap in the script thought the viewers were STUPID, not apathetic
It would be helpful if you could find a reference to this "producer/studio idiot" calling viewers dumb. As it is, it sounds like someone might have been a Von Däniken fan and wanted to shoehorn that into the film.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote