View Single Post
Old November 9 2013, 02:21 PM   #630
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
As I mentioned elsewhere, one of the people involved in TMP had that attitude, and thank goodness his ideas never made it into the movie.
Who was this person, and what were his ideas?
I don't recall exactly where I read this. It could have been in a magazine article, or maybe Chekov's Enterprise, or some other "making of" book. Once I finish unpacking the rest of my ST books, I can check.

The ideas were to put some kind of Mayan/Incan mystical mumbo-jumbo in the movie, and when told that wasn't a good idea, the person shrugged and said (referring to the intended movie audience), "They'll never know the difference."

I really dislike it when TPTB in charge of making a movie or the authors of a book assume their viewers/readers are stupid.
I've found my copy of The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and early on in the book when the author discusses the attempts to get a script written, one of the people approached was Harlan Ellison (other SF writers had also pitched ideas).

The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, pp. 24-25 wrote:
The studio decided these stories weren't right. They tried again, this time summoning Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, and Ted Sturgeon. Gene knew that Star Trek picture possibilities were in trouble when he heard that Ellison, already a veteran of Star Trek television, had been asked to find a way to work the ancient Mayans into his story, even though his movie treatment had absolutely nothing to do with any subject even faintly related to Mayans. Disgusted, Ellison had thrown up his hands and left.
Source: The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, by Susan Sackett & Gene Roddenberry

This is not the only reference to Mayans (or other ancient peoples) I recall reading about in regard to the TMP script. I'm going to continue reading this book to find it, or it could have been mentioned in Chekov's Enterprise.
What you've related here sounds like something where the industry corrected itself, so I don't see how there's any ax to grind in this case, regarding producers who think that the general public is too dumb to care. Not only is whoever it was with an itch to portray the paranormal not named, nothing ever came of his or her recommendation anyway, at least in Star Trek movies.

FKnight wrote: View Post
His name was in the closing credits.
With no intention of derailing thread -- in both my SD and BR copies of EAF, the identity of the admiral portrayed by Deforest Kelley is never mentioned in any credits.

Having said that -- of course it was Bones
Mea culpa if that is so. I may be mis-remembering what I saw when the episode originally aired. It's been over 25 years now!
Yeah, it appears I misremembered. On the DVD, it's in the closing credits, but it says, "Special Guest Appearance By DeForest Kelley". I'm going to assume that this is a case of them thinking that you'd have to have been living under a rock not to know who he was.

Thanks for catching that!

FKnight wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Oh please, that was obviously a McCoy from an alternate reality, not the TOS one. If the filmmakers intended them to be one and the same, the MOVIE Enterprise wouldn't have come up on the screen when it should have been the TV series version in "The Naked Now". Clearly in the TNG universe the technology advanced at a different rate...

Indeed. In fact, TNG started right after TVH so it's obvious that the time travel events in that movie were responsible for this divergent timeline -- what with Mr. Scott giving transparent aluminum to Marcus Nichols and a Klingon disruptor and communicator being left in the hands of the US Navy. These events very likely made technology advance faster with the Constitution class already sporting it's refit by the time of "The Naked Time."
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote