View Single Post
Old November 9 2013, 05:24 AM   #18
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

I just got back from the movie and I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, parts of it dragged and the main villain was woefully underdeveloped.

-Asgard is finally opened up and it's one of the highlights of the movie. It was cool seeing the other realms and having Thor and Malekith realm-hop really helped the final battle stand out.

-Chris Hemsworth once again nails it as Thor.

-Tom Hiddleston once again steals the show. He dominates every scene that's Loki swerves and swerves you never know what you're going to get from him. The reveal at the end was pretty awesome. Loki remains the only memorable villain in these recent Marvel movies.

-Which brings us to the villains. I've been a fan of Christopher Eccleston since I watched the first series of Doctor Who but they gave him absolutely NOTHING here. His henchman fares better here but the Dark Elfs are are woefully underdeveloped. I hear their scenes were cut to include more Loki. It was the right decision but I still wish they could have done a better job with the villains. Having Makekith get his butt kick by Thor's mom and reciting most of his lines in an alien language did him no favors either.

-Anthony Hopkins was good but really seemed to be showing his age at times. The Thor/Odin conflict works as Odin can be a prick sometimes.

-I was glad they gave Rene Russo more to do but sadly Frigga ended up getting fridged. But it did give the movie an emotional kick.

-I'm glad they gave Jane more to do in the story, which was lacking in the first movie. Natalie Portman is fine but the Thor/Jane relationship really pales in comparison to Tony/Pepper and Cap/Peggy. Her opening sequence is one of the scenes that dragged in the movie.

-Speaking of having more to do, I'm so glad that Idris Elba's role as Haimdell was expanded. He was awesome in the movie.

-Loved seeing Thor lead Sif, The Warriors Three, and the Asgardians into battle. I wish we could have seen more of them.

-Jane is okay but I don't see how Thor can have no interest whatsoever in Sif.

-Finally, the Captain America cameo was a brilliant little moment. I was also happy Marvel showed a scene from the upcoming Captain America movie.

Last edited by DarthPipes; November 9 2013 at 05:37 AM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote