View Single Post
Old November 9 2013, 04:28 AM   #120
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

Gaith wrote: View Post
One can of course still argue that Bullock is gratuitously under-dressed in Gravity, but one can also read it as a humanist celebration of the human form: the movie is about her psychological and evolutionary rebirth (the emergence from water, sputtering for air, and learning to walk re-enacting the evolutionary development of land animals as a whole), so minimizing the copious undergarments an actual astronaut would be wearing during a spacewalk, thus allowing us to focus on her human form, serves a thematic purpose as well as an aesthetically pleasing one - something that can't be said of the Eve's torpedoes moment. And there's certainly no male characters around to ogle her.
Well, I'm not going to torpedo Eve's scene (torpedo, get it?), because I did think it served a legitimate purpose in terms of character development (re Carol announcing her interest in Kirk). Scenes in film can serve literary functions and service story in other legitimate ways, beyond merely serving as thematic conduits.

However, I do agree completely that the minimal undergarments in Gravity served a thematic purpose in addition to fulfilling an aesthetic purpose, as you described. Besides in the evolution motif at the climax, the rebirth theme is actually started earlier, in what I essentially dubbed the Barbarella striptease scene, because Bullock curled into a fetal position there.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; November 9 2013 at 04:50 AM.
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote