View Single Post
Old November 9 2013, 12:23 AM   #625
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Who was this person, and what were his ideas?
I don't recall exactly where I read this. It could have been in a magazine article, or maybe Chekov's Enterprise, or some other "making of" book. Once I finish unpacking the rest of my ST books, I can check.

The ideas were to put some kind of Mayan/Incan mystical mumbo-jumbo in the movie, and when told that wasn't a good idea, the person shrugged and said (referring to the intended movie audience), "They'll never know the difference."

I really dislike it when TPTB in charge of making a movie or the authors of a book assume their viewers/readers are stupid.
The difference between what? Star Trek's pseudo science and Mayan/Incan mystical mumbo-jumbo?
I've found my copy of The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and early on in the book when the author discusses the attempts to get a script written, one of the people approached was Harlan Ellison (other SF writers had also pitched ideas).

The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, pp. 24-25 wrote:
The studio decided these stories weren't right. They tried again, this time summoning Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, and Ted Sturgeon. Gene knew that Star Trek picture possibilities were in trouble when he heard that Ellison, already a veteran of Star Trek television, had been asked to find a way to work the ancient Mayans into his story, even though his movie treatment had absolutely nothing to do with any subject even faintly related to Mayans. Disgusted, Ellison had thrown up his hands and left.
Source: The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, by Susan Sackett & Gene Roddenberry

This is not the only reference to Mayans (or other ancient peoples) I recall reading about in regard to the TMP script. I'm going to continue reading this book to find it, or it could have been mentioned in Chekov's Enterprise.

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I could write a sequel to Shakespeare's Hamlet, taking great pains to match the continuity of the original, but that's purely for the internal consistency of my work. It doesn't affect the original Shakespeare play one bit, nor is my argument, "but it matches the continuity of the original!" a valid argument for my play's inclusion in the Complete Works of Shakespeare.
Everybody died by the end of Hamlet. Unless you do a Shakespearean version of CSI, there's nothing more to be said.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
My hat's off to the TrekLit authors who manage to come up with genuinely new ideas within a well trodden franchise.
Indeed. It's a shame some of the novels couldn't be adapted for movies or TV.

Captain Jed R. wrote: View Post
Doctor Who was brought back in 2005 with fresh ideas, a frees perspective and brand new stories. It was also brought back without rebooting a damn thing. The Doctor in the 2005 series was very much the same character as the one from earlier series, and there have been numerous links since. Doctor Who is currently (arguably) one of the most successful shows in the s-f genre.
There was just one hiccup in Doctor Who... the TV movie starring Paul McGann retconned the Doctor as being half-human. Thankfully that notion was dropped with the new shows.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote