View Single Post
Old November 7 2013, 09:16 PM   #53
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Timby wrote: View Post
Three-year contract with team options for 2017 and '18. Fairly standard terms for a first-time manager. He's a solid choice, although I'm amused by the idea that the Cubs think that Renteria can magically teach Starlin Castro to play defense or Anthony Rizzo to hit lefties.

Speaking of Castro, there's a rumor the Cardinals are interested in trading for him. I swear to God, Hoyer, if they offer you a box of baseballs and Chris Carpenter's corpse, you take that deal and get that fucking terrible contract out of Chicago.
I dunno. Both those contracts boggled me. You have team control over them for six years... why throw long term money at them until you have a pattern to see what they consistently do over that time? I'm hoping they know something we don't, but... I sure didn't see anything worth those contracts last season.

If the Cards are interested in Castro, I'd say go for it too. Aren't we supposed to have a hot shortstop that's close to being ready for the bigs anyways? Though our luck, he'd magically turn around and crush us everytime he plays us. Though Zombie Carpenter could be a great marketing ploy. Everyone loves zombies.