View Single Post
Old November 5 2013, 06:13 PM   #15
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Peeling "The Apple"

Metryq wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Overall I think "The Apple" was a relatively crummy episode, and it has not aged well, making matters worse.
But, Celeste Yarnall. Therefore, your argument is invalid.
And what's a Celeste Yarnall? I had to look that up, too, and found The top Star Trek:TOS babes that are rarely mentioned.
Her name may not be familiar to some of the younger Trekkers, but she was a breathtaking beauty back in her acting days. And, unlike the episode, I think she's aged rather well.

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The epilogue scene comparing Spock to Satan is really embarrassing too, I thought. Today, it plays as downright racist. Well, it does to me, anyway.
I think Spock was big enough to take some good-natured kidding.

The real problem with the ending was the television-related need for it to be upbeat after four men just died. If Kirk is a realistic character, his happy-talk with Spock and McCoy is a total facade here. He has to explain his losses to the Admiralty and probably write letters to four next of kin.
^^ This. There were other episodes where Spock took some affectionate ribbing about his devilish appearance, e.g. "Bread and Circuses." Nothing racist about it. But by the middle of the second season, the forced jokey ending was already becoming a Trek cliché.

And what's with the bit where Kirk says to Scotty: "If you can't get those warp engines working, you're fired"? Fired? They're the C.O. and chief engineer of a military starship, not a civilian employee and his boss. I suppose that line could have been meant as a joke, but it just comes across as sloppy writing.