View Single Post
Old November 5 2013, 03:16 PM   #225
Christopher
Writer

Re: Was Roddenberry a Terrible Writer?

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
You know, I could be mistaken, but didn't GR talk about Vulcan having more than one sun? I'm not sure what to make of that, other than possibly alluding to STAR WARS and that's if it's even in there ...
Many star systems are binary or multiple, and many, many works of science fiction featured planets with multiple suns long before Star Wars came along (most famously in Asimov's "Nightfall," about a world with six suns). The problem with assuming that a given trope is a reference to Star Wars is that absolutely everything in Star Wars is itself an homage or pastiche of something from an earlier work. (But then, so is almost everything in Star Trek. Neither Roddenberry nor Lucas was an innovator so much as a distiller and popularizer of pre-existing genre tropes.)

It was in 1968 that James Blish first proposed 40 Eridani as Vulcan's home system in his adaptation of "Tomorrow is Yesterday." 40 Eridani is a system with three stars. However, I can't find a reference in the TMP novelization to Vulcan having more than one sun. The chapter set on Vulcan makes two references to the "red dawn," but that's as close as it comes to mentioning a sun or suns.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote