View Single Post
Old November 4 2013, 04:21 PM   #582
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Mycroft Maxwell wrote: View Post
If you'll notice, a lot of stuff that was meant to be serious was campy. I find Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, Perry Mason, Ironside, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Baywatch are all campy. In the future I will see people say "Look how campy Law and Order is with that camera shaking all over place. Everyone has an accusing attitude. HEy look that guy on CSI miami always walks sideways".
If something is meant to be serious, then by definition it can't be camp. That the production values or directing style seem outdated or quaint by comparison to shows being produced now isn't enough; "camp" implies conscious and deliberate exaggeration - it winks at you and says "Yes, I know." The Batman TV series was nearly always camp, for example, but Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, Perry Mason, Ironside, and the original Star Trek series were not (though one could reasonably argue that there were moments in Trek's "Trouble With Tribbles" or "Piece of the Action" or "I, Mudd" episodes which were played camp.)
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote