View Single Post
Old November 4 2013, 02:12 AM   #44
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Re: You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than i

Lance wrote: View Post
I'm gonna be the sole voice of dissent on this one. I'm glad they didn't do anything like shoehorning Worf into the alternative timeline. One of the things I tend to dislike when TV shows do alternate realities is when they find a role for every member of the cast in the alternate universe, even if logic would dictate that such a dispariate group of characters wouldn't necessarily all meet each other in every quantum reality. I mean, circumstance drew them together in our universe, but would it in every universe? Even one as dramatically different as in "YestEnt"? The starfleet characters I can understand, but to me making Worf their foe would have been trite and predictable.

Besides, I like that Worf and Troi are entirely absent. Their complete absence really underlines that this is a truly very different reality.
Agreed, such practices make the universe/galaxy seem smaller than it is, just like when everything has to be tied into everything less (for instance the "V'Ger was fixed by the Borg" fan hypothesis); it also breaks suspension of disbelief: you know that character has only been shoehorned in there as a misguided form of fanservice, not out of in-universe reasons. It's poor writing.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote