Thread: Dracula - NBC
View Single Post
Old November 3 2013, 06:42 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Re: Dracula - NBC

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Except if Jonathan and Mina are meant to be the real protagonists, it's a fault of the casting that they're played by two of the least interesting performers.
Really? I haven't had issues with either thus far. Jonathan has been suitably milquetoast, and Mina finding her inner confidence in the second episode worked for me. These characters don't require subtle performances.
Well, I've only seen the first episode so far, but I found Jonathan boring and his accent the least convincing of all the fake accents in the show. As for Jessica De Gouw, I'm judging mainly based on her performances as the Huntress in Arrow, which I found underwhelming. (Plus she's not nearly as hot as Katie McGrath. I prefer it when Mina is more attractive than Lucie.)

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
2) What sort of kick-ass vampire hunter is Lady Jayne if she can't even tell when she's sleeping with one? (I guess there are no mirrors in her boudoir?)
Perhaps that's a trope they're ignoring for this series. It's a trope that never made any sense to me.
It's an impossibility from a physical standpoint, of course. All a mirror does is change the direction of the light that's already there, so if you can see something directly, you could also see it in a mirror.

The basis of the myth, though, is that silver rejects evil (according to folklore, a power granted to the metal as a sort of compensation/redemption for having been the coin in which Judas was paid to betray Jesus), and so silvered mirrors don't show the image of evil creatures like vampires. Much vampire fiction ignores this by having vampires also fail to reflect in water or other types of reflective surfaces, or by having them be invisible to film and video. Well, I guess that makes sense for film, since it has silver nitrate in it, but not so much for video.

(By the way, the silver thing is also why breaking a mirror is bad luck -- and, of course, why silver bullets kill werewolves.)

I think Stoker's Dracula lacked a reflection, but I'm not sure. There are a lot of familiar vampire tropes that were added after that book. For instance, the trope of sunlight burning vampires to ash began with the movie Nosferatu; Stoker's Dracula wasn't fond of daylight, but could survive it.

This show does something that Buffy/Angel also did and that I find ridiculous: having vampires be harmed only by direct sunlight rather than reflected sunlight. For instance, in episode 1, Dracula was burned if the sunbeam touched his skin directly, but he could be just inches away from it and be fine. I know from personal experience how little sense that makes. I once had a hematoporphyrin dye treatment as part of a melanoma therapy, and it basically gave me a temporary case of porphyria, the condition that's often considered the basis for vampire myths. I was rendered hypersensitive to sunlight and needed to avoid not only direct sunlight, but sunlit rooms in general, because the reflected/scattered light could still burn my skin. We had to cover the windows in the house, and I had to wear a hat and scarf indoors when I went back to school. (No, I didn't pretend to be the Shadow. I did get an "Indiana Jones Authentic Hat," though. I think I inadvertently started a minor fashion trend at my school.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote