View Single Post
Old November 3 2013, 12:54 AM   #174
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Arrow - Season 2

Kirk5555 wrote:
Sin is obviously more influenced by the comics than vertigo or Felicity, because she's atleast semi-connected to a character called Black Canary in the show. But, she's an annoying generic punk/street urchin who could not exist and the lack of the character would only improve the show, which makes her name not matching more of an issue, and something I actively dislike. If done well, I don't mind characters that steal names that really make no sense for them, and Sin could have been interesting. If she was less annoying, and actually had a bit more of a point/back story, I probably wouldn't care about her having the name.

As for Felicity, I don't have any personal experience to compare her to the comic version. The comic character is so obscure that wikipedia only mentions her in the article for the TV show. Apparently, according to comicvine.com, she was Ronnie Raymond's step mother who used to get into arguments with Firestorm (and even sued him, apparently) before she became his stepmother and found out his identity).
Sin's pretty obscure too. I had forgotten she existed until this thread.

So far Sin has appeared in two episodes for a couple of scenes that maybe amount to 15 minutes. Not really enough time to make a judgement about the character. So far she's been a foil for Roy, a victim of the Mayor and someone who helps define Black Canary's motives. Again not enough info to make a judgement. So I'm finding your reasoning a bit wobbly. I especially find the idea that this new character, who only been on the show briefly, is really dragging the show down.

Roy falls into the 'generic punk/street urchin" category too. Why does he get a pass?

Could you rephrase this part:

But, she's an annoying generic punk/street urchin who could not exist and the lack of the character would only improve the show, which makes her name not matching more of an issue, and something I actively dislike. If done well, I don't mind characters that steal names that really make no sense for them, and Sin could have been interesting.
Do you mean should in stead of could? If so why shouldn't she exist? On the other hand, why couldn't she exist?

What exactly do you actively dislike, again?

Why does that "Sin" make no sense? Her given name is Cynthia. Makes more sense than actually naming a kid "Sin".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote