View Single Post
Old November 2 2013, 04:49 AM   #416
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Egger wrote: View Post
Yeah, the shuttle, always there to ruin a theory. ^^

Still, I think the ship looks too big at over 1400 ft. But I like the idea of the TOS version being bigger than the TMP version, that the Refit is a more streamlined version of the ship.
Could someone maybe superimpose the two ships at the following scales?
- TOS version 327m / TMP version 305m
- TOS version at a scale where the saucer has the same diameter as the TMP version at 305m
Now this sounds interesting! I'll give it a shot...

The TOS profiles are derived from the Sinclar drawings.

The refit profiles are based on the drawings found here, which are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the proportions don't seem wildly off either.

Now, all of this was done by eyeball except the percentages, which were determined by scaling the images in PS.

Again, my process here is BY NO MEANS super accurate, but for estimation/ball park purposes, it might help out. Feel free to do the math to see how many meters long either version would be.

Enjoy!

--Alex

P.S.

Just for kicks and giggles, I decided to do this same experiment but assuming the same height of the saucer between the upper and lower sensor domes... assuming the internal structure would be about the same, then the decks should have the same number and spacing, yes? So, I give you....

This almost seems too good.... but I can totally believe that these two profiles could have been the same ship...

--AM

Last edited by Albertese; November 2 2013 at 06:49 AM.
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote