View Single Post
Old November 1 2013, 03:20 PM   #33
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof should not Return.

captainkirk wrote: View Post
Some months ago I rewatched Q Who. During this encounter with a completely unknown but obviously hostile race, Picard orders a meeting. And then I believe he has another meeting later on. I can't think of any better way to suck the drama out of a story than to constantly interrupt it with everyone leaving to have a long discussion instead of actually driving the story forward.
While I definitely understand that having meetings after almost being sliced and BBQ'd by an almost invincible force is very out of place, they could have worked if the story had been re-touched just a bit. There are a lot of good moments in those meeting room scenes that sets up the final moments of this episode.

Riker: You brought us here. You exposed us to them. You cost us the lives of our shipmates!
Q: Oh, please.

And Q isn't brushing Riker off because the lives of the crew means nothing to him. Q may have brought the Enterprise into this sector, but it was Picard who decided to stick around and explore a bit even with Guinan's warnings. It all cultivates in Q's lesson at the end which makes the best sense.

Again, I agree that how these meetings factored into the story weren't done well, I don't agree that they should have been cut out.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote