View Single Post
Old November 1 2013, 02:14 PM   #568
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Camp worked FINE for TOS and made it very charming and enjoyable. But to see TOS remade withOUT the camp is quite a thing to behold! The production values are tremendous ... even the acting in the reBoot series has been far superior, in every way. Indeed, it's how STAR TREK: The Original Series was meant to be. Truly, sirs ...
I keep saying we should be glad that we got a serious remake of TOS and not something like Dragnet or the Brady Bunch got: where the, production camped it up and made movies that were parodies of the shows they were about. They could have easily done that with TOS and didn't. They set out to make Star Trek, as in TOS, movies. Their ideal of what TOS would look like if it was made today instead of the 60s.

The new movies are meant to really tie in to the overall franchise, they're meant to be about one thing: reimagining and retelling TOS. And they're doing it with a lot more respect and care than I--honestly--would have expected given the source material.

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Harbinger wrote: View Post
Enterprise boring? Did you try and watch season 3? The Xindi arc is amazing and some of the best ST I've ever seen. Was pleasantly surprised by it, actually.
I've stated several times that I don't like the Enterprise characters. I found them unlikeable, with the exception of the dog. He was cute.
Having revisited the show just recently, I can totally understand that given how badly written the characters were in the first two seasons. However, the third season was a real shot in the arm making the characters for the first time truly interesting and compelling to watch. A prime example is the portrayal of Trip, who started off as a dumb Southern charmer stereotype and then becomes a broken man trying to hide from pain he felt over the loss of his kid sister. Suddenly I started to actually care for them as people because the writers started to treat them as such rather than a bunch of cardboard cut outs. Give ENT a chance and maybe you'll find something rewarding in the end, I think it's totally worth giving it a shot for those later episodes. The fourth season, as many say, has some of the best Trek in the franchise.

Heck, season three does a better rip-off of Star Wars than Abrams Trek.
We even got a Death Star in season 3.