View Single Post
Old November 1 2013, 02:49 AM   #547
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

BigJake wrote: View Post
ChowdaHead wrote: View Post
I love the original trilogy with my whole heart. Empire is in my top 3 favorite films of all time.
Right there with you.

but you MUST agree. the midichlorian bullshit is on the same level as the idea that Neo is simply a pawn of the Machines and that he is part of a process that has already run its course five times before. The mystery gets shat upon. the force was beautiful without any of that nonsense.
Yeah, the midichlorians thing was kind of a lame attempt at inserting something "science-y" sounding into what had been straight ahead mysticism. It was Lucas forgetting that his creation was at its best as fantasy-in-space; didn't really feel like Star Wars. (Robot Chicken pretty much nails it.)
Thing is the Force was presented in more practical, sciencey terms by Obi Wan in ANH:

"The Force is what gives the Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things."

"An energy field" is a lot more scientific than the spiritual emphasis I had erroneously assumed pre TPM was the sum total of the Force. The Force is created, the Force grows, it's an energy field and some people have more of it--and in the SW universe it's measurable.

What isn't measurable is what people will do with it. The spiritual dimension of the Force lies in each individual's free will. I suppose it's analogous to superhero powers, Spidey could use his for good or evil--what direction he took was his choice. It's just that the Force is located in the whole universe, "It surrounds us, and penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together", rather than a localized superhero power so
this paints it on a much grander, and thereby more mysterious, scale.

I find the idea that there isn't a scientific/spiritual dichotomy very interesting. Is the spiritual less because it can be measured? No, because free will stands outside of natural law.

Is Anakin's worth to the Jedi Order to be measured in a lab? Certainly his being feted by Sidious in AOTC "the most powerful Jedi ever" for, essentially, his high midichlorian count led him down the wrong path. You might be able to measure midichlorians but could you ever measure humility? I don't think so, and it was an absence and a temptation away from such virtues that fouled Anakin's worth to the Jedi Order.

This is a rewrite excerpt from something I wrote in 2002. I don't usually hang out in SW land fandomwise these days because the vitriol levels are way higher than anything you see in these little JJ threads LOL.. but I'm still a huge SW fan.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote