Thread: The Blacklist
View Single Post
Old October 30 2013, 03:00 AM   #37
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: The Blacklist

IndyJones wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
*Strictly speaking, the Keen's ability to keep a house while losing Tom's income and paying their share of his medical bills is a red flag for chicanery. Particularly since elementary school teachers are not especially well paid. (I have my doubts about low level FBI agents too.) But in all probability it's just Hollywood's idea of the ordinary lifestyle.
He probably has insurance and a number of paid sick days, and his wife is working as well. Were you expecting them to be evicted from their home after a week or two?
Recent family experience with major medical expenses may be affecting my view. Twenty percent copay is pretty standard, and deductibles so far as I know run about one thousand dollars. Fifteen days sick leave per school year would be pretty generous I think, so yes, I think they would have been down to one income pretty fast. The hospital and physician expenses would probably be limited to out of pocket, maybe $10 000, but meds and PT may well be separately handled. Her employer (is it still the FBI?) may have been generous on paying her for any of her time with him (if she took any?) but there are very often official limits on employees taking paid leave for sick family members.

An elementary school teacher with only a few years experience in a metropolitan area might be pulling down something like 60K, leaving a take home less than 40K after taxes, federal and state. The house payments might be as low as $2 000, but could be as high as $4 000. No, I don't think they could live on her income.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't expect them to be evicted, but to downsize. If they're taking all their savings, sucking out any equity in the house, selling assets or what not, I'd expect that still to be a source of worry, even strife. Major medical expenses are a major cause for bankruptcy, which should an option on the table for them, given the marital problems.

antichristhill, it doesn't make much sense to me either. Frankly, I have no idea when Tom was supposed to establish this career as a major criminal, unless he started when he was twelve. Nor do I see how Tom could be criminal mastermind enough to know, somehow, that the evidence would fall apart. I have long ago decided that any criminal plan involving walking into custody is even dumber than the director.

But I think that we are supposed to believe that Red took the fall for Tom, so that Elizabeth's feelings wouldn't be so crushed. I don't see how Reddington could have planted the picture, nor do I believe the bimbo-terrorist when she says she doesn't recognize Tom. I don't know why Elizabeth doesn't think the really interesting question is not whose arm is around his shoulder but who's taking such carefully cropped pictures? Why?

Elizabeth long ago should have realized that Reddington ordered Tom's murder, then the box was supposed to take the grief away, by turning Tom into a liar instead of a dead husband. Said box being planted by Reddington to make sure that his Lizzie would be a merry widow.

What's really bizarre is that the surveillance team doesn't seem to be working for either the Black Site or for Red.