View Single Post
Old October 29 2013, 08:11 PM   #35
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Having let two occasions go by with ship-specific patches and with the edict from Roddenberry and Justman to not repeat the "mistake" in the future, they might have split the difference. They used the arrowhead patch like they were supposed to, but then tried to obfuscate the issue.
That's probably right. It makes the most sense.
Yes, that sounds good.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Closed Caption wrote: View Post
There's a lot in Star Trek that wasn't intended to be nitpicked at HD resolution. This is one of those things.
But it's still a little sad that ENT got it wrong.
The word is "retcon"

By these ultra-nitpicky standards, every episode of TOS exists in its own separate universe. James R. Kirk? Hand lasers? Antimatter destroying the universe? How many brothers does Kirk have?

It's a television show, not a history exam.
Right.

Unspeakable wrote: View Post
Closed Caption wrote: View Post
There's a lot in Star Trek that wasn't intended to be nitpicked at HD resolution. This is one of those things.
The photos of TOS are from screen capture of a DVD, not a HD Blu-ray.

We've seen multiple example of alternate universes in Star Trek, the mirror universe itself is one example. Given the difference in insignia , why the insistence that the Defiant in TTW and IAMD are the same ship?

HD, DVD, whatever. The point is that it is doubtful that they could have been definitively made out during the original broadcast on TV's of the day. I know that I couldn't make them out in the 1970's. Although we didn't have a VCR then, our TV wasn't exactly substandard either. What I do remember, though, is all the actors seemingly posed to hide the emblem in shots when they would have been unmistakable.

You may as well be asking, given that Kirk's middle initial is shown as an R., why the insistence that WNMHGB occurred in the Prime Universe?