View Single Post
Old October 29 2013, 05:19 PM   #478
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: The Continuity and Serialization of Voyager

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I've always been satisfied with single episode stories (save for two-parters and such). I've got a life (such as it is ), and I don't have the time or patience to sit through seasons-long, complex stories, especially when so many I hear about seem to end in disappointment or dissatisfaction.

I keep hearing how modern audiences "want" this sort of thing nowadays...but when it's all that seems to be offered, how can I "expect" anything else? When I go to McDonalds, I "want" hamburgers, because I know that's what they have. I wouldn't be adverse to find they also had, say, crab cakes. I could always go to Burger King (i.e. change channels), but...what do you know? More burgers!

Conventional wisdom is the engine that drives the train, and producers are going to make series they think we "want", but when nothing else is offered, of course we're going to "want" it! "Expect" doesn't necessarily mean "want".

I fully "expect" to be in the minority on this...
There is room for multiple types of storytelling on TV, we can of course deabte one type is better than the rest. But that really isn't the point, the point is did they use the right one. Sure shows like L&O for example we would expect to be rather episodic. But for example a show like VOY which had an overall narrative (the journey home) so it's not unreasonable for the audiance (or a portion of it) to expect a tighter focus on continuity, serialistion and consistancy of charactersation/themes.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote