View Single Post
Old October 28 2013, 03:20 AM   #19
picardo
Lieutenant

Re: Who was a better counselor, Troi or Guinan?

I was going to start the same thread, but saw this one which already existed, so here are my thoughts:

- Troi and Guinan appear to have similar, perhaps duplicate job functions. And yet only Deanna Troi is the "official" ship counsellor, Guinan does not report to her. In other words, Guinan is only a bartender providing occasional advice, but in no way is she a member of Enterprise's "counselling department" so to speak.

- Guinan appears to provide advice on a "general" level. She rarely dwells into the specific, her advice seems to be vague and open to interpretation. On the other hand, Ms. Troi provides very particular, specific advice down to the task level, she says how to implement the advice, she's very practical.

- Guinan is sought for her "wisdom" while Deanna Troi is sought for her skills. Guinan reminds me of the Oracle in Matrix movies, who was telling everyone "what they wanted to hear" but seldom gave direct answers to questions. On the other hand, Guinan wouldn't be out of place in a Star Wars movie.
picardo is offline   Reply With Quote