View Single Post
Old October 28 2013, 01:06 AM   #188
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TF: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack - Review Thread (Spoilers!

Sho wrote: View Post
You seem to suffer for a lack of empathy for your fellow man in other countries. We're all in the same boat ultimately. I for one don't want my government to mistreat the citizens of other countries any more than I want them to mistreat me (and therefore have no more sympathy for the BND's illegal spying activities than the NSA's). I can't come up with any good reason for why they shouldn't deserve the same respect and rights just because they happen to live (and that possibly not even by choice, i.e. it's more "happen to have been born") somewhere else on the same ball of rock.

As for the ruckus over the NSA wiretapping our chancellor over here, what's primarily sad about that whole affair is how much more of a reaction it's getting out of our government than the news of the NSA (or the BND) spying on German citizens. One of our major satire publications ran with "Merkel upset over being treated like an ordinary German citizen" ...
You seem to be assuming an awful lot about my character. I can empathize with the foreigners who've been tapped. I wouldn't like it to happen to me.

That doesn't mean I object to it happening to foreigners. The primary interest of the US government, for which I pay taxes, is to serve its citizens. In this respect, spying on foreigners helps to advance that goal.

Like everyone else on this planet, my priorities are family first, friends second, community third, country fourth, the rest of the world last. Is that fair? No. But life ain't fair. That's why they make big boy pants.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote