View Single Post
Old October 28 2013, 12:30 AM   #549
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

72. Zodiac (B+)

Rather like the anti-Se7en, David Fincher's account of the hunt for the Zodiac Killer in his boyhood California of the 1960s-1970s. All-around competently made, and the decision to depict a story that has no real "resolution" is a bold one, from a story perspective; at the same time, once the tensions have died down, the movie begins frantically leaping through the late 70s and early 80s, closing with a single moment in 1991, and while these segments include strong moments, it some respects it feels a bit like a highlight reel. The main character arc, such as it is, is Jake Gyllenhaal's obsession with the case, and, surprisingly given the presence of Fincher, I don't think it ever quite comes across on screen like the movie wants it to.

73. Romeo + Juliet (A)

Or William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, to use its full title. I think this movie represented the peak of Baz Luhrmann's career to this point -- his madcap visual style is on full display, but it's married to a much stronger story than Moulin Rouge, thanks to the work of acclaimed screenwriter William Shakespeare. He's also aided by two excellent lead performances from two of the 1990s' best young actors -- at almost two decades' remove, it's interesting to see how DiCaprio continued on from here into film stardom, while Danes, the odd foray aside, seems largely to be defined by her TV roles.

Cinema: 28
Home Video: 41 (+2)
Computer: 4

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote