View Single Post
Old October 27 2013, 07:03 PM   #99
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I wanted to bump this thread for two reasons.

First, an expansion pack was announced: XCOM: Enemy Within

It's very much a Firaxis-style expansion, expanding the content of the main game rather than adding an additional story. They are adding mechs and genetic engineering on top of everything else. In addition, there's a new organization called EXALT that are humans who want to use the aliens for their own gain. Here's a video of a mission against them along with covert spy stuff.

The second reason I'm bumping the thread is to ask a question for those who have more experience with the game. I put the game down for awhile to do other things, but I'm finally taking a stab at playing through the whole story. I'm at the point of the base assault. However, I feel I need to build up my troops (and hire some more troops) as well as get some important research done. On the other hand, the missions seem to keep getting harder and panic is obviously increasing. So my question is this. Is it better to just advance in the story and hope the pieces fall where they may or should I take a time out from the story and just run some missions so I can be stronger when the time comes?
In my first play-through, I went into the base assault with my research at about a mid-way point... I had laser weapons and I think I had the middle of the road armor. I made it out of there without a problem (this was on regular difficulty). In subsequent games, if I've even made it that far (on classic), I've tried waiting it out and have found that the game gets harder even if you aren't progressing the story. When I went after the base in the first game, I had yet to see Sectopods and Cyberdisks. Now, waiting it out, I'm constantly getting Cyberdisks and have just ran into my first two Sectopods and I'm nowhere close to being ready for the base.

My recommendation would be to not wait too long.... having the best equipment is certainly a boon, but getting straight into the base could come with its own advantages (the previously-mentioned reduction in panic, all the resources you get from the base, etc).

I'm so incredibly stoked for Enemy Within. November is going to be a rough month with the number of good games coming out, but this is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I love that it wasn't a half-assed effort. 40 new maps, lots of new bad guys, lots of new features, and new missions, including a base-defense mission. And your soldiers can be dapper alien-killing MoFos and wear fedoras into the battlefield. Very nice.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote