View Single Post
Old October 24 2013, 02:21 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Re: Matt Smith would have stayed...

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
However one positive of this is that Smith IS leaving. Am I the only one who has become utterly fed up with Smith? I can't wait to see the back of him. His whole era has just been breaks in the middle of series, badly written series finale's, and underwhelming episodes in general. It's time to say good bye.
How is Smith responsible for any of that? Those are writing/production/scheduling issues, not actor issues. Remember, Moffat will still be the showrunner when Capaldi arrives. So there's no reason to expect the writing style of the series to change much. And I think the midseason breaks are the BBC's decision, so there's no reason why recasting the lead actor would have any affect on them.

Hopefully Capaldi will bring a wind of change. he will be his own doctor instead of basing himself on the second doctor like Smith did. I don't want Capaldi to be the next first, third, or even sixth doctor, I want him to be his own doctor.
This is quite an overstatement. Smith may have drawn some inspiration from Troughton, but the two are extremely different in a lot of ways. Troughton's Doctor had a humble, gentle facade masking a sharp, commanding mind within; Smith's Doctor has more of a brash, overconfident, and self-congratulatory facade masking a more feckless and insecure personality. Smith's Doctor thinks he's the coolest guy in the room when nobody else does, and revels in being the center of attention; Troughton's was content to go unnoticed and underestimated, but had a way of quietly taking charge in a crisis through his sheer competence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote