View Single Post
Old October 24 2013, 07:23 AM   #78
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Re: Was Sisko a Javert

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
Your location says you're from California.. would you feel the same if the US ceded California to Mexico as part of an agreement to stop drug cartel violence, and the Mexican Army began to oppress the people there? You'd just up and leave and not care because the rest of the US is prosperous? Even if it was your own family that was indiscriminately targeted?
ESPECIALLY if it was my own family that was targeted. I'd be pissed off, but I wouldn't keep them in a dangerous place.

grendelsbayne wrote: View Post
it's been a long time since I've seen TNG, so I may be wrong.
I think this is the crux of the difference of opinion in this thread. The Maquis were portrayed quite differently in Journey's End & Preemptive Strike than they were in The Maquis. I remember watching the Native Americans in Journey's End and feeling no sympathy for their cause. Yes, your ancestors were f**ked over, but so what? Just move and be safe (and help form a peace) rather than digging your heels in.