View Single Post
Old October 23 2013, 12:08 PM   #437
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Big Boo wrote: View Post
cal_nevari wrote: View Post
I answered Prime - not because I know what "fans" want - (I don't think I really do, not well anyway) - but because when I think of Prime I was thinking of the Trek that came before the two Abrams films, as all being "Prime" and of all that, my favorite was in that group.
It's called Prime because the credits of 2009's Star Trek labeled Nimoy's character as Spock Prime. Prime Trek refers to his timeline.
Is Prime timeline everything except Abrams movies? Or is Prime Timeline anything about Kirk & Company?
Technically NuTrek would be part of Prime Trek, as much as the Mirror universe, especially if you can get Nimoy's character back to his timeline in the third movie.
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
If they're going to toss the last 40 years and start over, they should just develop some other SF series that includes spaceships, heroic captains, aliens, etc. It seems to me as though they only want to call it "Star Trek" because it's a recognized brand name.
Isn't this an argument against your point? Why should a new series featuring a new ship and crew be called Star Trek other than they simply want to exploit the brand name?
It comes back to the continuity issue. Some would argue Star Trek isn't it's continuity but I would say it's a part of it. A mythos to the adventure. Is Star Wars the only one left that's OK with that concept? I haven't watched Doctor Who but they're continuous too right?
I couldn't say about all of Star Wars, since I've only seen the original IV-V-VI trilogy... in their original form, before Lucas started mucking them up. I tried watching the other three, but found them so boring, I couldn't stay awake long enough to finish them (honestly). I do remember being annoyed at the retcon concerning Leia and her mother. In Return of the Jedi, she states that her mother died when Leia was very young, but that was changed in the chronologically-earlier movie. They both can't be right. As for the other Star Wars stuff - the later books, comics, games, animated shows... never saw it, and I honestly don't care. The 3 movies I did see are enough for me.

Doctor Who is continuous from the First to the current Doctor. Granted, there are paradoxes along the way - the Jon Pertwee-era Dalek/time travel stories really messed up the continuity. And I will say that I was really annoyed at the "Doctor is half-human" crap in the Paul McGann movie. If they had to technobabble their way around things, they should have figured out something that didn't contradict the previous 30 years! That said, there's really no reason to think that there are any of the Doctor Who TV stories that do not take place in the original Whoniverse (not gonna get into the spinoffs of K-9 & Company, Torchwood, or the Sarah Jane Adventures, because I haven't seen them).

There's controversy over whether the books and audio adventures should be part of the continuous, true timeline. I've got a lot of the books, but none from the Eighth Doctor era or later, and I've never heard any of the audio adventures. These are godawful hard to find in my region,and for the longest time I never knew they even existed.

I'm sure there are other issues to do with the comics, and whatever gaming material may exist. Again, since I've had little chance to even find that, let alone read it, I just ignore the whole lot of it.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote