View Single Post
Old October 23 2013, 07:15 AM   #39
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: A question for people smarter then I.

I remember certain random and relatively dramatic events from when I was three or younger: getting baptized (significant because I was being handed to a complete stranger), getting left in the nursery at church one Sunday and crying up a storm, my first walk up the sidewalk by myself (though in sight of my father; my younger brother wasn't allowed to come along!), my dad being injured by a rock thrown from the lawn mower, the trip to the hospital for that and him subsequently getting an infected knee, moving to a new city, the moonwalk. For some reason, I remember getting changed once. I used to have a thing for pointing out water towers from the car, and I remember doing that. I remember arriving at the house of a girl I played with, though for some reason I can't remember her. The lawn mower incident is about the most complete narrative I remember.

Remembering the moonwalk is fairly interesting. My awareness of the moon was not unlike my awareness of water towers. I feel very fortunate, because my parents made a point of speaking to me and answering questions. My parents explained the significance of what we were listening to on the radio, because I asked, and that brought my awareness of the moon, so far as only one of the random objects I was aware of, to the fore. Because I thought it was interesting that I remembered that, years later when I was a teen I recounted it to my parents. They confirmed that we were indeed where I remembered, specifically at the family's mountain house with the extended family, listening to it on the radio. Although I didn't remember this detail, assuming I even knew it, they added that it was indeed Armstrong's walk. I feel confident believing that their view of it at the time as a significant event influenced my experience of it as something important. Of course, I don't remember very much of it at all. All I remember is the family listening to the radio in the mountains, having it explained to me that men were walking on the moon because I asked what was so important, and then that we were listening to people talking about that on the radio.