View Single Post
Old October 22 2013, 05:21 PM   #24
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
The movies are already riddled with nods and call backs to the original shows and films, I think it's best to just move on. I suppose I'm just immune to fan pandering after the last two Star Wars prequels had George trying to appease to older fans by throwing in a bunch of pointless references "Hey look, it's Chewbaca, you remember Chewbaca, right? In those better films? Weren't they great? Isn't this film great?".
I had the same problem with The Hobbit. The camera would linger on characters from Lord of the Rings, with their familiar music cues, telling the audience, "Hey, remember THEM? Yeah, they're BACK!" Except, chronologically, this is supposed to be the first time we meet these characters.

Frankly, this is my problem with many prequels* in general, in that they require knowledge of previous movies to work, rather than as stand alones that just happen to play with another movie's building blocks.

*Not talking about the Abrams Trek films, though. They're not prequels.