View Single Post
Old October 22 2013, 03:22 AM   #378
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Scaling the Excelsior Filming Model

Egger wrote: View Post
My thinking is that the reactors by the time of TOS are really reliable, so having them in the nacelles is no problem because they don't need much maintenance. What needs the maintenance is the energizer (more specifically the "dilithium crystal converter assembly"), so, in addition to it being unneccesary for the nacelles themselves, that one needs to be in the hull. The additional reactor in the Constitution class is there to provide more energy for the ships most demanding systems (weapons, shields and so on), to give the warp drive an additional boost and to supply the deflector dish - or, as I see it, the "high power long range sensor (the dish) and scanner (the thing behind the dish) assembly".
Overall, I agree and like the way you suggest it works.

I think the coils and energizers don't evaporate the plasma but simply suck all the energy out and then the plasma changes its aggregate phase back to deuterium gas. It is then pumped to the deuterium tanks or the reactors again.
Hm, that's an interesting notion. I would wonder, though, whether this waste plasma would actually be reusable, though? Still it's an interesting thought, and rather pleasing to think of the ship as a mostly closed system (minus the antimatter.) Are there any major instances of ships running out of deuterium? I can't recall any off-hand.

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
It WAS an absurdly large ship. That's the whole point: it may have broken (and held) all Federation speed records for over a century, but its transwarp drive was so huge that it could never be a practical exploration vessel. The few practical transwarp vessels weren't quite as large, but the use of exotic materials in their engines and drive cores made them absurdly expensive, maintenance intensive, hard to repair and impossible to replace. They were on the raggedy edge of being useful, and Starfleet barely tolerated their continued existence.

Of course, even that would not be without precedent, considering Terra Prime managed to install a warp drive on the Orpheus Mining Colony without anyone knowing about it.
I agree that the large size kind of helps make the case of the impracticality... how many are you thinking would have existed overall? Maybe the XCV 330 was the only one...

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
2. Dilithium (used in the "Dilithium Crystal Converter Assembly) is a highly efficient way of converting massive amounts of energy in the form of radiation into electrical energy.
That's one explanation, but it could also be an amplifier of energy (that's what TAS and TNG suggested).
I've always liked that theory of yours... maybe it both controls and amplifies the reactions at the same time?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
3. The "Dilithium Crystal Converter Assembly" is the so-called "main energizer", with auxillary (non-dilithium) energizers for example being used for the impulse reactors.
About that I'm not that certain. It's correct that the room added in TWOK apparently holds the DCCA which Spock repairs but the "main energizer" could be the entire surroundings of the room (the TWOK version of the TOS "cathdral") where the DCCA (now) just happens to be in the same room.

Palmer: (to Spock) Sir, Deck seven reports power failure in main energizers. Implementing emergency procedures. (another hit) Severe casualties reported on decks three and four. Damage control party sealing off inner hull rupture.

This dialogue from "The Doomsday Machine" clearly indicates, IMHO, there is more than one "main energizer" aboard the TOS Enterprise and these are located on Deck 7.

Bob
I tend to agree with these observations, Bob.

Back to our previously scheduled program, here's the work that's proceeded on the larger Excelsior. I realized I had somehow gained extra decks from my original ILM model analysis (I think from the Enterprise-B analysis) and I've ultimately decided to go back to the original window row analysis based on TSFS and TUC screencaps. She has 30 habitable decks, but is close to 32 decks tall.

Doing some math, I've come up with several possible sizes for this iteration of the ship, using the pixels of the rasterized image.

At the size I rendered it, each deck is 25 pixels tall and the ship is overall 4,934 pixels long. Three distinct possibilities:

(1) 10 ft decks:

10 ft/25 px: .4 ft/px
4934 px * .4 = 1973.6 ft = 601.55328/602 meters

(2) 12 ft decks:

12 ft/25 px = .48ft/px
4934 px * .48 = 2368.32 = 752.343936 meters

(3) 8 ft decks:

8 ft/25 px = .32 ft/px
4934 px * .32 = 1578.88 ft = 481.24624 meters

I'm leaning towards option one. I like the notion of uniform deck heights because I'm asserting that this is the beginning of TNG-era non-pressure compartment building techniques and all TNG-era deck heights appear mostly uniform. Plus, somehow it makes sense that all decks would be the same height as the saucer heights of the TOS/TMP era.

I'm also slowly settling into being comfortable with the TMP intermix chamber setup being used until around the time the Melbourne was launched. You'll also note that I've decided the larger pod section of the large shuttlebay should be used for housing the larger TUC executive/spacedock shuttle, of which the ship may carry two, and the above section used for workbees and standard shuttles. I'm still refining and accurizing this area a bit.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote