View Single Post
Old October 21 2013, 10:00 PM   #630
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
I don't think it's a case of imposing modern tastes by spotlighting his gun use, but rather hanging a lamp on the fact that Batman is a derivative of the pulp character, the Shadow. Whenever I read those early stories, I don't see a prototypical Punisher. Instead, I note all of the "homages" (a generous term) to Walter Gibson and his work on the Shadow. The images of him wielding guns are more evocative of what came before (the Shadow and other pulp vigilantes) than what came after (the Punisher and his ilk).
Well, sure, but that's because you've actually read the stories and know the facts. I'm talking about the people out there who misrepresent or misunderstand the facts. I've heard rhetoric from some people who exaggerate Batman's early gun use as if to imply that it was routine and normative for a long time, and that his revision into a nonlethal, gun-free vigilante was something that happened after decades rather than just ten months. Maybe that's not intentional misrepresentation; maybe they're just confused and conflating this change in Batman's character with ones that came later, say, when the Comics Code was instituted. But there are still a lot of people out there who haven't read the original comics as you have, and who have a lot of misconceptions about the extent and prominence of Batman's early gun use.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote