View Single Post
Old October 20 2013, 02:26 AM   #63
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Star Trek: TMP questions and observations

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Funny thing with Ilia, for all she was promoted, she was pretty thin soup as a character. In fact, her exchange with Decker in the movie is pretty much (to me anyway) no different than the Chekov/Irina exchange in The Way to Eden! I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison view of those!
Decker/Ilia have more in common with Riker/Troi. With Chekov and Irina it was a case of he was too serious, and she was an Academy dropout. Irina was a girl who got away, but hardly the love of Chekov's life.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Does the overture need to be included on home video? Is it technically part of the movie?
Yes, and yes. The overture is part of the movie. To omit it would be like omitting the overture of a musical - it just isn't done (or shouldn't be).

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
So they aren't WKFs to me.
You didn't get around enough.
Yeah, I'm a watch the shows and movies type fan. Though I've read quite a bit of Treklit. Never really into cons or fanclubs.
You should make the effort to read some of the behind-the-scenes books. Bjo Trimble's book is very interesting, and I found it a hoot - especially the part where she describes some of her local SCA group going to a "Save Star Trek" rally in their medieval costumes.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote