View Single Post
Old October 19 2013, 11:17 PM   #78
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Re: Gravity - Review and Discussion Thread

I enjoyed the film, but it was held back by a reliance on the standard hollywood formula and tropes. The first 45 minutes or so were fantastic, but once Sandra Bullock reached the ISS the film fell apart for me. Sandra Bullock's character just bounces from one disaster to another while the experienced astronaut, the guy who is one day away from retirement, dies saving her.
  • Sandra Bullock hitches a ride with Matt. He dies.
  • She boards the ISS. It catches fire within a minute.
  • She boards the Soyuz escape pod. It gets tangled in the ISS.
  • She frees herself from the ISS. The ISS blows up.
  • She tries to use the Soyuz' thrusters to reach the Tiangong. It's out of fuel.
  • She reaches the Tiangong. It blows up within a minute.
  • She reaches Earth in the escape pod. Nearly drowns opening the hatch.
  • She swims to the surface. Gets attacked by a shark.
  • She reaches land. Natives capture her and try to sacrifice her to their volcano god.
  • She escapes from the tribe and is rescued by a helicopter. Helicopter crashes into the ruins of Jurassic Park.

I might be a little fuzzy on the details near the end there, but I'm pretty sure I got the gist of it. I remember joking to myself that she'd reach the Tiangong only to destroy it. Hey, guess what happened? She's a god damn walking (floating) disaster.

I really enjoyed the film, but it got silly at the end. A+ for the first half. C- for the second half. Overall, I went with a B+.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote