View Single Post
Old October 19 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: A question for people smarter then I.

I am not claiming to be smarter than you or anyone else.

See the Wikipedia article on repressed memories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repressed_memory

I've done a lot of stupid things in the past 6 decades. The first probably happened when I was 2 years old. I stuck a pair of scissors into a live electrical outlet. I'm told I was pretty much stuck there, screaming "Hot! Hot!" until my brother kicked me loose from it. Apparently I've repressed the entire incident and don't remember it at all.

There was another incident that seemed to involve memory suppression. In 6th grade, my grades were all Good or Satisfactory until the 3rd quarter. When I got the report card for that quarter, nearly every subject except for two was Needs Improvement. I was in disbelief, sure that I was going to get my ass whipped. Things got even stranger when nothing at all was said about it at home. For the 4th quarter, my grades were suddenly back to normal.

It wasn't until about 25 years later that I was told what had happened. During that 3rd quarter, my mother had gone into the hospital for several weeks, and I had become very depressed during it-- they'd estimated she only had about 2 years left, which turned out to be correct. When she got out, I was fine. But I evidently didn't realize it was affecting my grades at the time, and was still mystified about it until one of my sisters finally told me about it when I was 37.

Last edited by Melakon; October 19 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote