"Beginnings" was indeed a great two-parter and now this season's story has finally fallen into place. Korra must deal with that portal, something that hasn't beeen dealt with since the first avatar. It also has me thinking about what we might expect in Book Three. I even have a title in my head but I won't share it just yet. I also like that we got the story of the first avatar. It dragged a little and I wondered if they'd ever be able to cram in what wee needed but in the end, they did. And I agree with what you said Mr Light
. Wan's story would have made a great show or season-long arc.
- Wan wasn't a bender. He was given the power of fire first by a lion turtle. Maybe we could say that he started as a firebender. A number of people online were speculating on what element he might possess and fire came up as the best guess because of the colors he wore.
- I liked that Wan wasn't a goody-goody ultra noble guy. He was a bit mischievous and did what he had to do to survive. Not every hero is a saint and I like that this was reflected on the show.
- I wasn't totally clear on one thing… Did Wan possess 3 elements with Raava holding onto air until she merged with him?
- Now we know a little more about how bending works. The lion turtles granted the humans an element for a short time, then when they left for good, the humans who were already benders kept their bending but passed them on to their children through their genes (or whatever else gets passed on). This had me thinking about the discussion we had a few weeks ago about whether or not bending could be acquired by non-benders. Could people appeal to the spirits or a spiritual force to get an ability afterall?
- We also know a little more about how the avatar works. Wan was successful in appealing to many lion turtles in order to get more elmements. Then he merged with Raava who looks to be serving as a source of power we now know as the avatar spirit. I wonder… Could others do this as well? Could something like this happen again once the spirit door opens? You know, appeal for some bending then get yourself a spirit guide and voila! You're just like the avatar! I'm not ignoring any counterarguments from the discussion we had, I've taken away a lot to think about, but I'm still keeping an open mind about what might be possible. Or at least, could we see a "dark avatar" if someone merges with Vaatu?
- I wondered if the avatar could access any lifetime no matter how far back, but here it almost looked as if these first few lives are so deep that concentration on that level might be difficult. That could explain why Aang only went back to Roku mostly, along with the next three or why Korra's look back stopped with the last water tribe avatar.
- One more thing... Some of what we saw in this episode didn't totally mesh with what we've heard about bending. Supposedly people learned bending from badger moles, dragons, the moon and sky bisons but here, they were given bending. The only way I can reconcile this is maybe they simply honed their existing skills by watching the nature and the rest became folklore.
Looking forward to the rest of the season more than ever.