View Single Post
Old October 19 2013, 06:14 AM   #39
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Re: Could I become a Niner? hmmm....

SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
I gave DS9 a chance when it first aired and just could not get into it at all. I didn't really watch much after that except an episode here and there when Worf joined the crew. I think my main problem was that it was a stationary base that had to have problems come to them rather than traditional Star Trek exploration of space. A few years ago I decided to try it again and checked out the season sets from the library in order. I actually really enjoyed it from season 3 forward and didn't dislike the first two seasons as strongly as I had initially.
I'm kind of finding it the same.

I am not hating it anywhere as much as I expected to this time around.

Saw Duet today. Interesting episode. Definitely deeper than your typical Trek. I vaguely remember it from the first time round, but enjoyed it quite a bit this time round. Ignoring what I still feel is a bit of weak acting from Nana Visitor, I thought it was cool to see Kira understand at the end that not all Cardassians were assholes, and some of them felt just as powerless as the Bajorans did.

I think I understand one of the reasons I originally couldn't stand the show. I think it was to do with the fact that I felt I was trying to be sold a story that was never really shown. We are never shown a Cardassian occupation. We are never shown the atrocities they supposedly committed. But we are supposed to believe it by the anger portrayed by the actors.

I think once you can brush that expectation aside, the show does become easier to watch and more enjoyable.