View Single Post
Old October 19 2013, 03:48 AM   #424
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post

But how will you even know?

I am basing my comments on the fact that I saw the 2009 movie and hated it. I've seen a freight train load of spoilers concerning STID, and absolutely none of it has given me cause to think this movie might be any better. I do plan to watch it and decide for sure.

If I feel it's not dumbed-down crap, if the story makes sense, if the characters (and acting) are better than last time, it will have improved. Maybe some day it'll improve enough that I'll stop complaining about it.
Sounds like you're judging a book, not by its cover, but by its Cliffs Notes.

If you read a synopsis of First Contact, the movie doesn't make a lick of sense (Time Travel AND Invasion? Space zombies AND Elves? Berlioz AND Roy Orbison? Other than Picard and Data, who are these other 24th century protagonists, and what's THEIR development?), but actually watching it turns it into a completely different animal. You may or may not like it and that's your prerogative, but either way it's a completely different experience than reading a couple paragraphs. And it's the same for many, many movies out there -- because they're meant to be experienced AS movies, not as little snippets that you pick up here and there and mash together piecemeal.
FFS, I would assume that a synopsis of First Contact would use the proper terms. Borg are not "space zombies" and Vulcans are not "elves." As for the Roy Orbison reference, I do know he was a musician and I'm familiar with one or two of his songs, but that stuff that the movie version of Cochrane listens to is just so much noise to me.

There were things I liked about First Contact. There were things I absolutely loathed about First Contact, the major one being Zephram Cochrane himself. Considering that it's a continuing character study of Picard (and Data) and I liked the character of Lily, it wasn't a bad movie. It was certainly the best of the TNG movies.

People here seem to constantly overlook the fact that I HAVE seen the 2009 movie. I saw it and hated it. Not even Leonard Nimoy could save that pile of crap.

I've also stated that I intend to see STID. It's available "on demand" and so one of these days I'll sit down and watch it. But considering that it's almost impossible to post in the Trek areas of this forum and NOT see copious spoilers about the movie (they crop up everywhere, even in non-movie-specific threads), you should realize I already know quite a number of details about the movie and there's not a single one of those details that has impressed me.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but it's going to take a hell of a lot to accomplish that. I honestly don't think Abrams et. al are up to the job. When it comes to Star Trek movies, I'm hard to please. The last ST movie that accomplished that was Star Trek IV.

And would you all please just get it through your heads that even though I consider the 2009 movie stupid, that is not the same as saying that people who like it are stupid. I rather suspect some of the production people think the viewers are stupid, but I'm not part of the production staff.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote