View Single Post
Old October 18 2013, 04:48 PM   #422
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote:
If the new stuff that calls itself Star Trek were actually like Star Trek and wasn't so dumbed-down, I'd consider it more real. When they improve sufficiently, I'll cease to consider it "not-real".
But how will you even know?

Timewalker wrote:
I haven't seen it yet
I am basing my comments on the fact that I saw the 2009 movie and hated it. I've seen a freight train load of spoilers concerning STID, and absolutely none of it has given me cause to think this movie might be any better. I do plan to watch it and decide for sure.

If I feel it's not dumbed-down crap, if the story makes sense, if the characters (and acting) are better than last time, it will have improved. Maybe some day it'll improve enough that I'll stop complaining about it.
Sounds like you're judging a book, not by its cover, but by its Cliffs Notes.

If you read a synopsis of First Contact, the movie doesn't make a lick of sense (Time Travel AND Invasion? Space zombies AND Elves? Berlioz AND Roy Orbison? Other than Picard and Data, who are these other 24th century protagonists, and what's THEIR development?), but actually watching it turns it into a completely different animal. You may or may not like it and that's your prerogative, but either way it's a completely different experience than reading a couple paragraphs. And it's the same for many, many movies out there -- because they're meant to be experienced AS movies, not as little snippets that you pick up here and there and mash together piecemeal.

Last edited by Cyke101; October 18 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote