View Single Post
Old October 18 2013, 04:28 AM   #74
Workbee
Commander

Re: Was the Star Trek 4 Ent-A bridge a redress of the Excelsior bridge

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
I prefer the TUC of all the bridges in every Trek. The only thing I don't like though is the reverting back to switches and dials after TFF introduced Okudagrams of the 23rd century. Meyer should have just sucked his gut in and not indulge too much on putting 20th century touches.
So would that make the E-B your ideal bridge?
The Excelsior in TUC also had an LCARS-only bridge. I think the distinction is that a) Meyer likes physical switches, and b) the Excelsior was more advanced. Doesn't really explain why they regressed between V and VI, though... The E-A was suffering multiple computer systems failures, so Scotty swapped some of the systems to older versions to take the load off the ol' M-4 computer. Yeah, that's it.

Mark
One problem is that they had to set up a contrast with the "more futuristic TNG". Yes, looking at the movies on their own, it doesn't make much sense for the Helm to regress back to buttons and switches after touchpads. But by then the touchpad LCARS had become sort of a signature element of the 24th century tech, that I understand a desire to differentiate the 23rd century tech from it. If anything, I wish that they had switches all the way though. However it must be noted that the touchpads were first introduced in TVH (except for certain limited applications in prior films).

If anything, the TFF was a misstep forward, taking the aesthetic too close to TNG when we saw various ships from intermediary periods bore no resemblance to either the TFF or TNG interiors.